Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Questions to ask your doctor about contraceptive options

Don't be embarrassed, put off or rushed through a short consult when you talk to your doctor about choosing the right contraceptive for you - pay for a long consult if need be but DO empower yourself with knowledge before rushing off with your script.

Discussing all aspects of birth control with a health professional is essential when it comes to understanding and taking charge of your body's health in regard to managing birth control- especially if you take oral contraceptives which affect your body's hormone levels.

The doctor will know your medical history but maybe not what type of lifestyle you lead so explain a bit about this first. Take with you a list of over the counter meds you are taking. Remember, this is your domain, your body, your future family planning scenario- you are about to make one of the most responsible and important decisions of your life, your partner's life and the lives of your unborn children.

You may find some of these questions useful and if you don't understand the answer you get back, be a little terrier and keep asking until you do.


1. Given my age and state of health/lifestyle, which method of contraception do you suggest for me?

2. Out of all the hormone based types of contraceptives, which is the most effective and are there any I cannot take due to my medical history or the medications I'm taking?

3. If I don't opt for a hormone based contraceptive, what other alternatives are most effective?

4. Is an IUD an option for me and can it cause problems if I want to become pregnant later on?

5. How will 'the pill' affect my fertility and what do I watch out for re side effects?

6. Which form of contraceptive carries the greatest health risk, I've heard scary reports about the patch?

7. If I ever want to get pregnant when should I stop taking the pill?

8. What should I do if I fail to use contraceptives during intercourse?

9. How can I get the 'morning after' pill and if I keep one dose on standby how long will be effective for?

10. If I'm breastfeeding, what do I do about contraception?

11.Do you have information about natural birth control?

12. I don't want kids for YEARS yet, is an implant a good option for me now?

13. Are there any other resources in my community where I can get help and advice on contraceptives?

14. We have enough children now, I need information on tubal ligation and vasectomy and whether or not these methods are reversible.

The truth about contraceptive pills and pregnancy test kit results HERE- as well as several popular Oral Contraceptive pills (including cheapest on line prices)

No comments: